Top quotes for black women like me today
Mama taught us all we know. She taught us how to cook, speak and to clean. She was pretty strong on us training ourselves to be discerning and be slow to make judgements. And although she is still teaching, pretty much the world is changing and we are constantly re-evaluating our truths as women; What's acceptable isn’t necessarily right, what a woman can do is continuously changing. It is then quite important that at each stage in my life, I keep a set of guiding principles and inspiration that keeps me focus. This is as much for me as it is for the next woman! So here’s a compilation of quotes, tips and advice that make sense now through my own experiences. If you see any quotes without name pretty much my thoughts! So here’s goes.
- We delight in the beauty of butterfly, rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty - Maya Angelou
- I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself. - Rita Mae Brown
- When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier.- Diane Von Furstenburg
- It’s ok to want and expect the best from people that say they love you, as long as you are willing to give your best.
- Love is a partnership/ decision. It is entirely up to me and my partner to make it work.
- Good love brings PEACE. At the end, it is all that matters.
On career goals:
- I thrive on the creative and if I am not creating, it is killing my soul
- Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you. - Hillary Clinton
- You can have unbelievable intelligence, you can have connections, you can have opportunities fall out of the sky. But in the end, hard work is the true, enduring characteristic of successful people.- Marsha Evans
On being a woman:
- It took a long time to get to realise that I was ok the way I was, my flaws and all. That there is only way from here. That’s upward.
- Smart women love smart men more than smart men love smart women.-Natalie Portman
- Sometimes I don’t want to be there for anyone but myself. Paint my nails, do my hair, stay in bed and be vain.
- People don’t want to see women doing things they don’t think women should do.-Joan Jett.
- I've learnt the best way for women to maintain the healthiest of friendship is to be our biggest supporters
- Learn to say you’re sorry when you’re wrong. Then you can be at peace with yourself when things go south
- Friendship is like a glass ornament, once it is broken it can rarely be put back together exactly the same way.- Charles Kingsley
On being my best:
- I am slowing learning to become a YES woman, no matter the challenge
- I can only be better through constant learning and listening. Of course and being annoyingly curious.
I love quotes and sayings that uplift the soul and I am so glad to have shared a few with you!